“Every salad you serve,
is a picture you have painted,
a sculpture you have modelled,
a drama you have created.”
~ Carol Truax
What makes a good salad?
For me, it’s all about key ingredients,
the colour contrast, seasoning and dressing the plate.
Just a few ingredients to start with…
Oil the foil, then season the lovely Scottish Loch Trout fillets
Cut, season and bake the tortilla chips.
- 2 loch trout fillets, with skin on
- Chilli infused olive oil
- 2 tortilla wraps
- Little gem lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado
- 5 black olives, halved
- 5 baby tomatoes, halved
- 2 eggs, boiled & sliced
- Fresh chives, snipped
- A few baby capers
- Sesame seeds
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Sea salt, black pepper and Szechuan chilli pepper
- Sweet Chilli Sauce
I like to use Little Gem lettuce; it’s crisp and crunchy.
Any salad ingredients will do, but these are great!
Fresh chives add a subtle flavour.
- Preheat oven to 200° C/ 400° F/gas mark 6.
- Smear olive oil on a large rectangle of tin foil, place the trout fillets on top, skin side down.
- Drizzle on the chilli infused oil, season with sea salt, black pepper, Szechuan chilli pepper, then make a tent and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Check the fish is cooked and still moist, then lift out of the foil and leave to cool.
- Add the eggs to a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, cook for 6 minutes, then drain, peel and slice when cold.
- Brush olive oil on the tortillas, season, cut into triangles, then pop in the oven for 4 minutes to bake.
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the stone, then score to make slices.
- Plate up the lettuce, avocado, season lightly, add the tomatoes, olives and sliced egg, then season again.
- Sprinkle on snippets of fresh chives, sesame seeds and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Place the trout in the centre, sprinkle on more sesame seeds, give the dish a squeeze of fresh lemon, then drizzle with Sweet Chilli Sauce.
Let’s plate up the salad!
Sesame seeds may be tiny, but they have huge health benefits.
My Sweet Chilli Sauce is ready to serve.
Colourful and packed with flavour!