“Mexican food if so full of colour,
life and music.
It’s like a piñata
exploding in your mouth.”
~ Kate McLennan
This recipe works on so many levels…
The salad bowls are edible too!
Let’s get started!
Rinse the quinoa at least 3 times,
then simmer in stock and lay out to dry.
Cumin, paprika, cayenne and cinnamon.
- 2 tortilla bowls
- 3 tsp ground nut oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- 80g quinoa
- 200ml chicken stock
- 150g sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sprinkle of cayenne
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 chicken fillets
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp red kidney beans
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Half an avocado, sliced
Mix the spices, add to the chicken and cook.
Prepare and chill the sour cream foam.
Sauté the peppers, add the quinoa, add the spring onions and coriander.
- Pour the stock into a pan, bring to the boil, then add the quinoa, then simmer for 18 minutes until the stock is absorbed and the quinoa cooked.
- Drain and lay the quinoa on a plate to dry.
- Blend the sour cream, lime juice, cayenne and a good pinch of sea salt. Blitz until combined and foaming. Transfer to the fridge to chill.
- Combine the spices and season with salt and black pepper. Rub the chicken with 1 tsp of oil, then the spices.
- Heat a pan, add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil, add the pepper and sauté for 1 minute. Add the quinoa and beans and continue to cook for another minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the spring onion and coriander, then mix.
- Pour the quinoa mixture into the tortilla bowls, top with the avocado, slice the chicken breast into strips and place on top, then drizzle over the sour cream foam.
Now get those homemade Tortilla Food Bowls and fill with the quinoa mix.
Slice the avocado, chicken and place on top of the quinoa.
Drizzle on the sour cream foam and add a few coriander leaves.