“We all eat,
and it would be a sad waste of opportunity
to eat badly.”
~ Anna Thomas
Rainbow trout is wonderful and a healthy addition to any diet.
Once you add in some mediterranean salsa flavours,
trust me…you won’t be disappointed!
I’ve used rosemary, thyme and oregano…any herbs will do!
Let’s make the salsa…
- 2 whole rainbow trout,
- 1 banana shallot, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- Rosemary, thyme and oregano leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (slice the rest to put on top of the fish)
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
Lemon juice, seasoning and olive oil, now blitz.
Oil the tinfoil to prevent the fish sticking.
The blended salsa goes inside and on both sides of the trout.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C /200 °F/ gas mark 6
- Combine everything but the olive oil and fish, in a food processor or a blender and process into a salsa like consistency.
- Oil the dull side of the foil with olive oil, season the inside and outside of the trout with freshly ground sea salt and black pepper, and lay them on the foil.
- Cover fish with the herb marinade on both sides and a little inside the fish cavity with a few fresh sprigs of herbs and lemon slices.
- Drizzle over with olive oil and add a few more lemon slices on top of the each fish and fold the foil over to make a tent around the fish.
- Place in a deep roasting tray and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, on the middle shelf.
- Open up the foil, turn on the grill and let the fish skin crisp up.
- Serve simply with a fresh salad.
Stuffed and oven-ready!
Nearly there… turn on the grill for the last 5 minutes.
Just look at those caramelised lemons!
What I like about this salsa,
is that it doesn’t over-power the dish;
the Rainbow Trout is still the star of the show!