“It’s the easiest bread I have ever made –
there’s no yeast and no proving time –
have a go and you’ll see what I mean.”
~ Jamie Oliver
I love warm flatbreads,
and since I started making my own,
I’ve never gone back to shop-bought!
Basic dough ingredients, then add your choice of topping!
and the oil and milk in a jug.
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 130ml milk
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- Olive oil
- Garlic, minced
- Fresh coriander leaves (or thyme, oregano, rosemary)
- Freshly ground sea salt & pepper
Make a well and add the liquid into the flour mix.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Mix together the milk and oil in a measuring jug.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and pour in the liquid mixture.
- Mix together the dough by working from the centre and incorporating the flour from to make a smooth, soft dough.
- Knead well for 8-10 minutes.
- Place the dough into an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea-towel and leave in a warm place for 10-15 minutes.
- Form the dough into five balls, then cover in cling film and keep in the fridge, until ready to grill.
- Preheat the grill to medium and place a heavy baking sheet on the upper shelf of the grill to heat.
- Roll the dough balls out quite thinly, sprinkle over your topping and press into the surface of the dough.
- Place onto the hot baking sheet and grill for just 1-2 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned.
and place on the hot baking tray to grill.
Flatbreads are great to eat with a fresh salad,
and perfect with my Saturday Night Curry