“Pastry + cheese = lip-smacking satisfaction.”
~ Isobel King
This week, I’m using up my leftover short crust pastry from my
Don’t throw away the scraps…make crackers!
There’s thyme in this pastry, but any herb will do!
- Left over shortcrust pastry, with thyme
- Parmesan cheese, grated finely
- Freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
Gather the scraps and roll out very thinly.
Grate on some parmesan and roll again.
Make patterns with a fork!
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ 400ºF/ gas mark 6
- Roll out the pastry as thinly as possible.
- Grate on the parmesan cheese and roll over again.
- Use a pizza wheel or knife to cut the dough into small squares.
- Use a fork to prick the pastry squares.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cooked, but still pale in colour.
- Grind the sea salt and pepper over the warm crackers.
- Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve with cream cheese, pickles and fresh fruit.
Transfer to a parchment-lined baking tray.
Season when still warm.
I love making food from leftovers…