“There’s a magic hour,
just after they come out of the oven,
when they are so heavenly…
I just can’t imagine why anyone would prefer
~ Jamie Oliver
Cherry Vanilla Scones this week;
a sweet treat for any time of day 🍒
Monday is baking day!
Airy sieved flour, butter for breadcrumbs and golden caster sugar.
- 450g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 75g butter
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 100g glacé cherries, chopped
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs, beaten, reserve some for glazing
- 280ml buttermilk
- Pinch of salt
Glacé cherries are the star ingredient for these scones.
Chop the cherries, add to the dry mix, then in goes the wet mix.
- Heat oven to 220C/425F/gas 6.
- In a large bowl, rub the flour, salt and the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the caster sugar and glacé cherries.
- Beat the egg, then set aside 2 tbs for glazing the scones.
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl, add the rest of beaten egg, vanilla essence and buttermilk.
- Use a knife to combine the mixture to a soft dough and place on a lightly floured board.
- Use a fluted cutter, dipped in flour, to stamp out the scones, place the scones on the baking tray, then glaze with the reserved egg.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until golden, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
Cut using fluted cutter, egg wash and bake till golden.
Peek-a-boo…those chopped cherries look yummy!
Now dust with icing sugar…mmmm
For an added treat,
serve these scones with my