“You don’t have to do everything from scratch.
Nobody wants to make puff pastry.”
~ Ina Garten
Whenever I make my Rock ‘n’ Roll Sausage Rolls,
I often give in and use ready prepared pastry sheets.
I always have a rectangular strip of puff pastry left over.
Waste not, want not..
Let’s make Mini Jam Turnovers!
Cut, egg wash the borders and fill with jam.
- Leftover puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Jam, pick your favourite
- Icing sugar, to dust
Seal, crimp, egg wash and ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F / gas mark 6
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out and flatten the leftover pastry, fold over one corner; like a napkin, then cut along the side to make a triangle. Repeat twice more.
- Brush on the egg wash along the unfolded sides, to make a border.
- Place a 1 tsp of jam the centre of the triangle.
- Fold pastry in half diagonally, over the filling.
- Press the edges to seal, then crimp with a fork.
- Brush the egg wash over the top of the whole turnover.
- Bake until puffed and golden, about 15 – 18 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, sieve over some icing sugar.
Puffed and golden, cool on a rack, then dust with icing sugar.
A mini sweet jammy treat;
great with a fresh cup of tea…