“Asparagus may not officially be royalty,
but it sometimes is referred to as the food of kings,
and the aristocrat of vegetables.”
~ Ocean Mist
No apologies for how green this soup is!
However, the smoked out paprika and crispy pancetta
will enhance the flavour of this green pea and asparagus soup.
I love Souper-Saturdays!
Prep the vegetables, then sauté.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1l light ham stock
- 200g frozen or freshly shelled peas
- 500g asparagus, trimmed and finely-sliced
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper & smoked paprika
- Pancetta slices, crispy
- Parmesan shavings
- 1 lemon, wedges
First add the peas to the stock and vegetables.
In goes the asparagus next.
Time for the thyme now!
- Add the olive oil to a large pan, heat, then mix in the onion, celery and garlic.
- Sauté gently over a low heat for 10 minutes, or until soft and golden.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil,then the peas and as soon as they come to the boil, add the asparagus and then the sprig of thyme.
- Return to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes or until very soft.
- Blitz with a hand blender to a smooth soup consistency.
- Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and smoked paprika for extra flavour.
- Add the pancetta to a dry pan and cook till crispy.
- To serve, add a squeeze of lemon juice, crispy pancetta and parmesan shavings.
This is a truly green moment!
Crispy, smoky and a great soup garnish.
I like a squeeze of lemon and parmesan shavings too!
When I run out of pancetta, crispy croutons make a great topping.