just isn’t so sweet
without the sour.”
Love scones…love lemon drizzle cake?
Have both in this luscious lemon-popping teatime treat!
Love baking scones!
Lemon zest and juice…love citrus too!
Big scones or mini ones…you choose.
- 450g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 75g butter
- 50g golden caster sugar
- zest 3 lemons
- 2 eggs, beaten, reserve some for glazing
- 280ml buttermilk
- Pinch of salt
For the drizzle icing
- 3tbs icing sugar
- zest 1 lemon and juice
- 1 tbsp jam sugar
Rub in the cold butter.
In goes the sugar and lemon zest.
Now the egg and buttermilk.
Cut, glazed and ready to bake.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 6
- In a large bowl, rub the flour, salt and the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the caster sugar and lemon zest,
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl, add the egg and buttermilk.
- Combine the mixture as a soft dough, place on a lightly floured board and pat the dough out to a 2.5cm thickness.
- Use a fluted cutter, dipped in flour, to stamp out the scones, place the scones on the baking tray, then glaze with the reserved egg.
- Bake for 12-15 mins until golden, then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a thick but runny icing.
- Drizzle over the scones, then scatter with jam sugar and lemon zest.
- Leave to set for 10 minutes.
Cool on a wire tray.
Prepare the lemon drizzle icing.
Ice, sprinkle on sugar and finally that vibrant, zingy zest.
I usually freeze half of this batch of scones, then defrost and ice them when family or friends arrive.
Spread with jam and fresh cream…yum 😋