“Is there chicken in chickpeas?”
~ Helen Adams,
Big Brother 2001
No….but there are chickpeas in my Chicken and Oyster Mushroom Soup 😂
It’s wet, windy, so let’s make chicken soup!
No need to mince the garlic; just crush it.
Sauté the banana shallots, celery and garlic.
- 200g cooked chickpeas
- 1 chicken breast
- 1l chicken stock
- 2 sticks of celery, chopped
- 3 banana shallots, chopped
- 4 large oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 1 tbs of lemon juice
- Fresh chives, snipped
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch of salt & ground black pepper
You’ve guessed…poaching chicken in soup stock.
Lift, shred and set aside.
Add the cooked chickpeas to the soup stock.
- Heat the oil in an soup pan, then add the celery, onion and garlic sauté until soft.
- Add the chicken stock to the pan, drop in the chicken breast, bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes to poach the chicken.
- Remove the chicken, shred and set aside to cool.
- Add the chickpeas and lemon juice to the pot and heat through gently.
- Now blend carefully with a hand blender, then add the sliced mushrooms and
again, heat through gently.
- Finally add the shredded chicken to the pan, stir through some chopped parsley and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Once ready to serve, drizzle on some olive oil and sprinkle on some very fine snippets of fresh chives.
Blend the chickpeas and stock; creamy, but cream-free.
Slice and add mushrooms; they cook quickly.
Chicken, mushrooms, fresh herbs; pure comfort soup!