“Soup is cuisine’s kindest course.”
~ Virginia Woolfe
Soup at this time of year is a must.
This week’s soup has the added flavour of ginger, which I love
and the poached and shredded chicken is a bonus!
Prep up the vegetables.
Sauté the onion and celery.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery sticks,sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5cm ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1l chicken stock
- 600g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 chicken breast fillets
- Salt, cayenne and freshly ground black pepper to season.
- Fresh cut chives
I love the smell of freshly grated ginger.
Stock in , carrots in, now time to poach the chicken.
The chicken will shred easily and tastes great too!
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, and celery for 5-6 minutes stirring occasionally until softened but not coloured.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour over the chicken stock, add the carrots and bring to the boil.
- Now add the chicken breast to poach and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred using two forks.
- Blitz the soup using a blender, until smooth and creamy.
- Season to taste
- Stir in the shredded chicken, then sprinkle on some fresh cut chives.
You can leave the soup chunky, but I like to blend it.
Spoon the chicken back into the soup.
Sprinkle with fresh cut chives and ready to eat!