“When life hands you lemons
use the opportunity to add some zest
to your life”
I love adding lemon to soup;
it adds a touch of sunshine, even on the coldest day!
Fresh and fragrant, with the addition of giant couscous,
this Lemon Chicken soup is winner in our household.
Sauté the shallots and the minced garlic in olive oil.
The chicken will poach in the lemony seasoned stock.
- 1l chicken stock
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 shallots
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 chicken breast
- 100g giant couscous
- 1 small red chilli, finely sliced, seed removed
- Chopped chives
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Cayenne and freshly ground black pepper
Shred the cooked chicken using two forks…it’s easy!
Pop the chicken back into the pot.
Now stir in the giant couscous.
- Peel, slice the onion thinly and mince the garlic.
- Place the olive oil in a large pot, then sauté the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add the chicken stock, chicken breast, lemon juice, zest, and finely sliced chilli to the pot.
- Bring to a boil gradually, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the couscous and season to taste using cayenne and freshly ground black pepper.
- Simmer another 5 minutes. Then turn the heat off.
- Carefully remove the chicken, shred it using two forks, then place it back in the pot.
- Serve with in the crumbled feta cheese and chopped chives.
Garnish with crumbled feta, fresh chopped chives and another squeeze of lemon!
Ready to serve and full of flavour!
Today we had snow in Scotland,
so this soup was just perfect for lunchtime!
I love making soup,
Frances 🍵 xXx