“Life is just a bowl of cherries,
Make today a sweet day-
and hold the pits!”
As you may now know, I do love making fridge jam.
I am passionate about experimenting with new flavour combinations too!
Today I am using fresh, ripe cherries, Amaretto, lemon an d touch of Rosewater.
Wash the cherries, then remove the stalks.
I used a corn-on-the cob holder to pit the cherries!
- 500g cherries, pitted
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 4 tbs water
- 250g jam sugar (the one with pectin added)
- 2tbs Amaretto
- 3 drops of Rosewater
Add the water, lemon juice and zest and cook.
As the fruit softens, watch the dark juices run!
Add the warmed sugar and watch the jam roll and go glossy.
- Wash and pit the cherries, then place in into a large pan with the lemon juice, zest and cook for 15 minutes to allow the fruit to soften and the juices run.
- Add the warmed sugar and stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the Amaretto and cook for 2 minutes, then add the Rosewater and carefully taste-test.
- Remove the pan from the heat and check the setting point, by putting a little of the hot jam onto a chilled saucer.
- Leave to cool in the pan for about for 10 minutes.
- Pour into sterilised jars, cool, the pop in the fridge.
I like Jamie Oliver’s method to sterilised jars.
Leave the jam to go cold in the jars, before them putting in the fridge.
Perfect with Buttermilk Scones.
This jam isn’t just charming…
it’s dark, decadent and absolutely delightful!
Frances 🍒 xXx