“Like baby Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes,
a soothing Stollen is the last word in cosiness at Christmas”
This is a Stollen inspired recipe;
full of boozy fruit, nuts,and of course marzipan.
I can’t wait to start!
Sift in the flour, ground almonds and the raising agents.
Roughly crush the pistachios…might have to eat a few!
- 125g mixed dried fruits (raisins, sultanas, currants, cherries, candied mixed peel; pre-soaked in Brandy and Cognac)
- 200g plain flour
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 100g marzipan, diced
- 25g pistachios, roughly chopped
- 50g toasted flaked almonds
- 2 large eggs
- 100g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 125ml full-fat natural yogurt
- 1 tsp Amaretto
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
Dice the marzipan into small cubes.
Stir in the fruit, nuts and marzipan to the flour mixture.
Pour in the whisked Amaretto, egg, butter and yogurt mixture.
Fill the ready prepared muffin cases.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and line the muffin tin with paper cases.
- Mix the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarb, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, the sugar, marzipan, nuts and pre-soaked fruit in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, melted butter, yogurt and Amaretto.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and quickly mix until the mixture has just come together.
- Divide the mix between the cases and put in the oven on the top shelf.
- Bake for 5 mins, then lower the heat to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and bake for 15 mins more until they are risen and golden.
- Remove from the oven, rest for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire tray to cool.
- Now liberally sprinkle the icing sugar with the remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon and coat the muffins.
Out of the oven and it smells like Christmas!
Cool on a wire tray.
Dredge in icing sugar!
Fruit, nuts and marzipan…what’s not to love!
I’ve frozen a batch for Christmas morning,