“All those typically Mexican flavours –
lime, coriander, chilli –
combined in a soup with the crunch of tortilla chips”
Add in some tender poached chicken and this soup works a treat!
Let’s get souping!
Slice the chicken and set aside.
Now rinse the red kidney beans.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large chilli
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1l chicken stock
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced
- 300g passata
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 400g red kidney beans, tinned
- Juice 2 limes
- Homemade tortilla strips
- Fresh coriander leaves
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Grinding of sea salt, black pepper and cayenne.
Infuse the oil with the chilli and spices.
In goes the onion and garlic.
Chop the tomatoes.
Stock looking good and ready to blend.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently let the chilli infuse.
- Add the onion and garlic soften for 5 mins, then stir in cumin, paprika, passata and chicken stock.
- Add in the tomatoes and pasta and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blitz the tomato stock using a hand blender.
- Add the chicken, kidney beans, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Ladle into warm bowl, then sprinkle on some tortilla strips and coriander leaves.
- Add some finely diced red onion, cubes of fresh avocado and a final dash of lime.
Beans in, now poached the chicken.
Slice, oil, season and bake the tortillas for 4-5 mins at 200° C
This is so good…love the avocado in this soup!