“Family are like fruit cake at Christmas…some nutty, some soaked in alcohol, some sweet, but mix them all together and they are the ingredients for a perfect Christmas.”
I do like marzipan and sweet icing on a good fruit cake, but not too much…
so I only decorate the top of the cake and use a ribbon to go round the sides.
Unwrap your Mini-Christmas Cake…let’s get started!
For the glaze I like to use my Juicy Orange jam, omitting the basil.
Brush the glaze on top of the cake.
- 2 prepared cakes
- 250g white marzipan
- 250g ready to roll white icing
- 2 tbs warmed jam, for glaze
- 1 egg white
- Some caster sugar, for frosting
- Some pomegranate seeds
- Sprig of rosemary
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Roll out to about 5mm.
Place on top of the glaze.
Roll and cut out the white icing.
Wash the marzipan with water.
- Heat some jam, then let it cool.
- Use a pastry brush to put the jam glaze on the top of the cake.
- Roll out the marzipan, then using the cake tin base as a template, cut out a disc and place it on top of the glaze.
- Brush the marzipan top some with boiled water.
- Roll out the white icing and cut out another disc using the tin template.
- Place this onto of the water washed marzipan.
- Smooth the edges with a warmed palette knife.
- Whisk some egg white, coat the pomegranate seeds and rosemary, then roll in caster sugar to frost and leave to dry.
- Arrange on top of the cake with a broken cinnamon stick and dust with icing sugar.
- Tie a ribbon around the cake and it’s ready!
Use a warm knife to smooth the edges.
Ready to serve or give as a gift!
You can add any fruit, nuts or toppers to decorate the cake.
This cake is not too rich or too boozy!
I hope you enjoy it,