“Good soup is one of the prime ingredients for good living.”
-Lousie P. de Gouy
This is a hearty soup with a lovely smoky flavour.
Great ingredients make super soup!
Just look at all the oils oozing from the chorizo!
Add the onion, carrot garlic and a good pinch of cumin.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 75g cooking chorizo, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- Pinch of cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of golden caster sugar
- Dash of red wine vinegar
- 125g red lentils
- 500g passata
- 700ml chicken stock
- Grinding of sea salt, black pepper and cayenne
Don’t forget the cubed potatoes!
In goes the essential Hungarian Paprika!
Now the tomatoes and red lentils.
Finally the stock and passata!
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the chorizo and cook until crisp and it has released its oils.
- Next sauté the onion, carrots and cumin seeds, then add in the cubed potato and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, scatter over the paprika and sugar, cook for 1 min, then splash in the vinegar.
- Simmer for a moment, stir in the lentils and tomatoes and then pour in the passata and chicken stock.
- Give it a good stir, then simmer for 30 mins or until the lentils are tender.
- Blitz with a hand blender.
- Adjust seasoning to taste using salt, black pepper and cayenne.
Cover and simmer until the lentils are soft.
Blitz, but leave some chunky pieces for extra texture.
To serve, swirl in some soured cream, sprinkle on some crispy chorizo and finish with a dusting of smoked paprika.
This soup is great with my Smoky Chorizo and Parmesan Scones.
Definitely one for a cold November night,