“Chicken Paprikas or Paprika Chicken is a popular dish of Hungarian origin and one of the most famous.”
My grandson’s mother is Hungarian, and therefore, I have been very fortunate to have been gifted a good supply of genuine Hungarian Paprika for my take on this wonderful chicken recipe.
Thanks for the Hungarian Paprika Tunde!
Season the chicken well and fry in olive oil to brown.
I now put chicken into the oven to continue to cook while I prepare the sauce.
- 6 pieces of chicken, drumsticks and thighs
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Selection of peppers, sliced
- 25g paprika, Hungarian
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 125ml sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Grinding of sea salt, black pepper and cayenne.
Sauté the onion, garlic and peppers.
I love paprika and the colours in the pan!
Add in the chopped tomatoes.
Now time for the chicken to go back in!
- Pre-heat the oven 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 4.
- Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt and pepper and cayenne.
- Heat the oil in a wide and deep pan, then add the chicken in a single layer being careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook until golden brown on one side, and then turn over and brown the other side.
- Transfer the chicken to the oven to continue cooking till the vegetable sauce is ready.
- Now add the onions, garlic and peppers to the pan.
- Sauté on a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the flour and paprika, stir thoroughly, then add the tomatoes and pour in chicken stock.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and return the pieces back to the pan.
- Bring to a boil, and then cover with a lid and turn down the heat to simmer.
- Cook the chicken for about 1 hour; until it’s almost falling off the bone.
- Add some some cooking liquid from the chicken to the sour cream spoonful at a time, to prevent curdling.
- When the sour cream is warm, pour it all back into the pan and watch the sauce thicken.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve.
Good enough to eat already!
Add warm sauce to the sour cream one spoonful at a time.
Serve with rice and fresh vegetables…yum!
This delicious dish has a fragrant paprika flavour…a favourite in our household!