“When life hands you lemons, make orange juice,
then sit back and watch the world wonder how you made it!”
But don’t those away the citrus peel; candy it!
I’m using oranges, but lemon, lime and grapefruit are great too!
I pare rather than peel; no bitter pith.
Now slice thinly.
- Citrus fruits, peel pared
- 100g water
- 100g granulated sugar
Simmer in equal amounts of sugar and water.
Looking caramelised now.
Leave to cool on parchment paper.
- Put the peel in a pan and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins.
- Drain, return to the pan and re-cover with fresh water and sugar.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer until the sugar starts to caramelise.
- Transfer to parchment paper to cool.
- Coat in granulated sugar.
- Cover, store and use for cake and dessert decoration.
Dust with granulated sugar.
This candied peel is great served with Passionate About Orange Jelly…
or to top Chocolate Orange Muffins.
Homemade citrus candy is so easy to make, so why not give it go,