“Worries go down better with soup.”
– Jewish Proverb
Soup making season has definitely started in the Sutherland household.
Many of you may now know, I love roasting vegetables in the oven. It’s easy to do; chop, season, oil and bake.
The caramelisation adds character and flavours are intensified.
This week’s soup is a lovely Smoky Vegetable!
The thyme and the smoked paprika really enhance this soup.
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 3 medium cloves garlic
- 200g peeled, deseeded pumpkin
- 1 carrot
- 1 red onion
- 1 white onion
- 4 new potatoes, sliced skins on
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Grinding of sea salt and black pepper.
Roasted, soft and ready for the stock pot…
Everything goes in…seeds, skins, and those pan juices.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 4.
- Clean and chop pumpkin, potatoes, carrots, onions into even-sized pieces
- Place in a baking tray with the smashed garlic and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle on fresh thyme leaves, smoky paprika, season, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Pour the stock into a deep soup pan, cover and warm gently for 5 minutes
- Roughly chop and add all the roasted vegetables and blend with a hand blender.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning, and stir in a few more thyme leaves.
Blending in the pot is perfect…then adjust the seasoning.
Serve with a swirl of cream and a sprinkle of smoked paprika.
I would like to invite you to join me and post up your favourite soup recipes for Souper-Saturday.
Have a good weekend,