“Vegetarian and frugal it may be,
but the chickpea is one of the most versatile
ingredients you could keep in your cupboards.”
Chickpeas do not have to be exclusively vegetarian or frugal;
I like to dress them up with other flavours and textures.
Here is my Cod served with Chickpeas and Chorizo...Hope you like it!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 100g soft cooking chorizo
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 200g passata
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 260g Cod fillets
- Grinding of sea salt and black pepper
- Some fresh shelled peas
Paprika, chorizo, garlic and onion….Mmm!
Here comes the main ingredient…
I like to add some fresh shelled peas for added colour.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan, add chopped onion, garlic and chorizo and fry gently till the chorizo releases its oils.
- Stir in the paprika, tomatoes, passata, vegetable stock, and drained chickpeas.
- Stir in the vinegar and sugar with some seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer then cook for a further 5 minutes, then scatter on some fresh shelled peas.
- Chop the fish fillets in to good size pieces,then add to the pan and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Lift out the fish, spoon the chickpea and chorizo sauce into a warmed dish, then top with the cooked cod.
- Scatter with fresh parsley and freshly squeeze lemon.
Nestle in those fish fillets!
I like to serve this with lemon wedges and some fresh crusty french bread, to soak up all the wonderful juices.
This is a smoky, satisfying supper and the chickpeas add the perfect taste and texture.