“Salsa can be fresh or cooked, is a healthy addition to your diet as it is full of vegetables and herbs”
The most popular way to enjoy salsa is with tortilla chips, but don’t limit it’s uses; it’s too good!
I always have a big bowl or tortilla chips and salsa on the buffet table and I make my own because it is so very simple. Using fresh ingredients ensures an aromatic, sharp and zesty sauce, that definitely leave you wanting more!
Traditionally, salsa is made in a molcajete, a Mexican mortar and pestle. I use mine for this recipe, as I find mashing up the ingredients quite therapeutic, but you can blitz, with a blender, if you want a smoother sauce consistency.
- Half a red onion
- Juice of 1 lime
- 500g ripe cherry/plum tomatoes
- 1-2 green chillies
- Small bunch of coriander
- ¼ tsp salt
- Add the salt and chillies to the bottom of the molcajete.
- Pound with the pestle until the mixture forms a paste.
- One at a time, add tomatoes, then onion and finally coriander.
- Mash them into a desired texture before adding the next ingredient.
- Add lime juice to thin out the mixture.
- Season to taste.
Why not make your own Tasty Tortilla Chips?
Salsa is a great side dish for steak and grilled meats, so bring out that barbecue! It is a perfect topping for chicken or beef fajitas and it goes well with fish and shellfish too. Like it said, don’t limit it’s uses, especially if you enjoy a fiery kick to your food.