“My diet is the Mediterranean diet, which is good food. I eat well.”
– Penelope Cruz
Here is another recipe for the buffet table, incorporating the flavours of all my favourite Mediteranean foods.
Fresh basil, fetta cheese and juicy tomatoes are a match made in heaven; perfects for pasta, pizza and salads. Once you add some quality olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs, the food will not only taste wonderful, it will be so good for you too. I like to take all these ingredients, put them on a puff pastry base and when baked, set it out for sharing. It’s colourful and tasty.
- Pre-made puff pastry sheet
- 3 tbsp tapenade or pesto
- 8-10 cherry tomato halved
- 4 parma ham slices, torn and scrunched onto base
- 75g feta cheese
- 10-12 black olives
- 1 egg beaten to glaze
- Basil leaves
I like to use these ingredients for my homemade Black Olive Tapenade.
- Preheat oven to 200ºC (180º for fan assisted ovens)/ 400ºF/ Gas Mark 6.
- Unroll pastry sheet onto a lined baking tin and spread the tapenade over top leaving a good 2cm border all round.
- Brush border with beaten egg.
- Top with halved tomatoes, ham torn into half and lightly scrunched onto base, crumbled feta and olives.
- Bake for 20 minutes until borders risen and golden.
- Scatter with fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
If I make individual pastries, I use circular cookie cutters or for canapés, my mini-muffin tin is ideal.
A simple and easy dish…