“Cultivation to the mind is as necessary as food to the body.”
-Marcus Tullius Cicero
This morning, I woke and thought about how my life is going at the moment and soon realised, that I am on a learning and growing journey. As I embrace yoga and healthy eating, I am working on a balance for my mind and body; knowledge feeds the brain and good food nourishes and keep me alive and full of vitality.
It is so true…we are what we eat!
I do enjoy cooking and experimenting with new foods, flavours and textures and I strive to eat what I need and not always what I want. But what should I be eating to feed and sustain my brain, in particular, so I can function, mentally, and not just at this moment in time? After a bit of research, I was delighted to discover, that the nutrients I needed, were found in some of my favourite things to eat. Win..win…I guess that is why they are called superfoods!
- Wholegrains: wholemeal bread, cereals and pasta
- Seeds and nuts: pumpkin seeds, pine nuts and walnuts
- Oily fish: salmon, sardines and trout
- Berries: blueberries, strawberries and rasberries
- Greens: broccoli, asparagus and lettuce
- Fresh herbs: basil, coriander and rosemary
- Spices: turmeric, paprika and cayenne
- Olive oil: including infused oils
And finally, remember to listen to your brain. When you feel thirsty, it’s a message; your body is telling you it needs rehydration, so drink plenty of water!
Happy cultivation everyone…eat to live and live to eat!